On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 City of Dauphin Post-Secondary Education Committee members Mayor Eric Irwin, Deputy Mayor Al Dowhan and Economic Development Manager Carissa Caruk-Ganczar met with James Allum, Manitoba’s Minister of Education and Advanced Learning and Minister Stan Struthers to discuss opportunities for Dauphin to grow as a hub for post-secondary education in Manitoba. Specific programs that were discussed include:
- The success of Practical Nursing and the need for it to become a permanent program offering in the City,
- Masters of Education cohort that starts this fall,
- Bachelor of Social Work program currently running in Dauphin,
- Desire and need for the return of the BUNTEP program,
- Support for ACC’s trades programming,
- Potential for first and second year university courses to be offered thru face to face deliver in Dauphin.
The Committee looks forward to further follow up meetings with the Minister on specific program opportunities.